Author Topic: American Microcar Inc  (Read 12661 times)

dot11y

• Just Starting
American Microcar Inc
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »
I have a three wheel microcar with a 49cc Minarelli moped engine. Does anyone know anything about these vehicles?

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: American Microcar Inc
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
Do have a picture?  Jim Janecek may have some answers for you www.microcar.org

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
No, I don't have any answers, sorry

I think the "vehicle" in question is located in Australia as well.

The vehicle in question is located in the US patent database, filed in 1980 and appears to basically be a tricycle with small electric motor and a simple canopy to enclose the rider.

from the Patent Abstract:
  • A three-wheeled vehicle is provided to operate from a source of power constituted by two batteries which constitute approximately one-third of the weight of the unloaded vehicle. The batteries are so positioned as to locate the center of gravity of the vehicle relatively low. The vehicle is provided with a superstructure which is relatively light so that the center of the gravity is not greatly affected thereby. The superstructure provides protection for the passenger or passengers who are sheltered thereby. The passengers are seated at a relatively high position relative to the ground traversed so that they obtain a feeling of security and confidence and can readily see because their relatively high position with respect to other vehicles or obstacles in the vicinity. The additional weight of the batteries is accommodated by the provision of a compound braking system consisting of mechanical and electro-magnetic braking elements.

Inventors:   Pivar; Stuart (New York, NY)
    Assignee:   American Microcar, Inc. (Farmingdale, NY)
    Filed:   January 11, 1980

• Inaheinkel

• Quite Chatty
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
    Hi

It looks like an electric Arola to me.

John
    Heinkel Kabine, Cursor

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
    • Prolific Poster
    • old Banana
    « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:15:31 PM »
    Hi Guys

Chris Rees has a photo of this vehicle in his book Microcar Mania, and it is a TRI-PED dated 1979, weighs 160 lbs and will do 100mpg (us) and thats about it.

Chris Thomas

chaun

• Just Starting
    « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
    I also have a microcar, my mom bought it in 1977 and used it to go back and forth to work, you had to pedal it and then pop the clutch and roll it down a hill and pop the clutch. She has since past and i went to pick up yesterday. I took to to a mechanic and hope he can get it started. I do have the owners manual for it.  hope to hear from you

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
    • Prolific Poster
    « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
    Malcolm
    Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
    Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
    « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »
    A couple of years ago, I started a thread about this as a "It has been a while....ID a Microcar quiz. "  Some good comments.    Tried to link but would'nt work.  Maybe someone else can link it.   Ian.   http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=2368.0
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:00:48 PM by cuscus47 »
    AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
    • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
    « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
    A couple of years ago, I started a thread about this as a "It has been a while....ID a Microcar quiz. "  Some good comments.    Tried to link but would'nt work.  Maybe someone else can link it.   Ian.   http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=2368.0

I was going to say I thought it had appeared once a while ago. Good spot.
    Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
    Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
    Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
    For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

chaun

• Just Starting
    « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
    I had a mechanic look at my microcar and I need some parts for the carbourator,  does anyone have any idea where to get parts?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
    • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
    « Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »
    Know nothing of Minarelli but I have had French Fridges with them fitted. I forget which type but I think it was one of the more cyclemotor types and a coupe which would suggest the cars made in Limoges. Sounds Italian but of course the home of mopeds is Holland and the low countries.
    Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
    Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
    Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
    For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs